PDA

View Full Version : antiperspirant?

fish speaker
11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
While placing some slate in the sand in my 90-gallon tank tonight, I realized that I was almost up to my armpits...which is unusual, since I don't usually have to reach my hands down that far into a tank. I always am very careful about washing my hands before reaching into a tank, but I realize that I came dangerously close to adding my antiperspirant to the water!:eek:

I'm assuming that would be a very bad thing. Has anyone ever done this?

Thanks,
David

skiitswitch
11-29-2004, 09:36 AM
hmmm... that's an interesting question that I've definitely never even thought of. Hmmm... IMO, it wouldn't do anything for several reasons: first, at 90 gallons, your tank is probably big enough to dilute any minute additions to harmless levels... second, unless you put on so much that it's like dripping out of your pits (quite a visual there...) I don't think you'd really even "rinse" any into the tank... Just what I think though...

Matt V
11-29-2004, 10:38 AM
yeah... i would say that in 90g of water, the amounts that would get in would be insignificant....

unless (and this is admittedly a bit gross...) a piece of it falls in and a cichlid eats it...

cich1
11-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt V

unless (and this is admittedly a bit gross...) a piece of it falls in and a cichlid eats it...

:uh: :yow: :eek: yeah that was really gross Matt:rofl: :lol:

fish speaker
11-29-2004, 09:42 PM
...but I guess that could happen. It actually reminds me of something I read about mbuna and bloat, where the author said that mbuna would happily eat gasoline, if you were to feed that to them (he was trying to make it clear that you can't expect them to avoid foods that they shouldn't have) :)

cich1
11-29-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah i guess if they ate it,the outcome wouldn't be too good.

Matt V
12-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by cich1
yeah i guess if they ate it,the outcome wouldn't be too good.

but they'd be fresh and dry all day!

:rofl:

sorry.... i really tried to resist, but, um, well, i'm weak. really. just look at my tanks!

Seedy
12-02-2004, 06:07 AM
Hmm...I gotta disagree...Considering that just spraying Febreeze in the same room as an aquarium can KILL (Had an in town buddy loose his whole SA/CA 150 gallon to Febreeze)...

I'm thinking that it certainly could poison a tank...then again, I don't use the stuff...I'll smoke cigaretes and take my risks with cancer...but Aluminum Silicate (a main ingredient in deoderant) has been linked to Alzheimers....Cancer may kill me, but at least I'll have the memories!...

BTW....Rubbing rock salts on your pits will work as well as deoderant....without the nasty chemicals being shoved into a very porous area of skin......BO is caused by the bacteria eating your sweat and producing stinky by products...raise the salinity to kill the bacteria, and shower daily and no problems....(but a little cologn never hurts...)

Besides...deoderant is a completely un-needed product sold to us by fear based marketing...(if you don't use it, you'll stink and not get laid!)...however the reality is that it covers up your natural pheromone (yes humans have pheromones too) and probably makes you less chemically attrative to potential partners....(ya know how people talk about having "chemistry"...they really do!)...keep the masses afraid and they will consume!....

punkypuffer
12-02-2004, 09:29 AM
i'd rather not smell like a$$, but thanks for the info seedy! :lol:

jennigypsy
12-02-2004, 09:59 AM
lolol....seedy...you've made some good points...
I use the salt AND deodorant! LOL...(chemistry??! ah! )
I will say that the natural salts do work very well if used properly...just don't miss even 1 little area....or you & everyone around will know you did.....lol

Matt V
12-02-2004, 11:32 AM
as an italian-american, we believe in covering those pheremones with large doses of cologne (or perfume for those of the female persuasion).

it's our way.

i didn't know the febreeze thing... good to know!

jennigypsy
12-02-2004, 03:53 PM
febreeze, pledge, any ol' spray cleaner will do <to kill your fish, that is>

skiitswitch
12-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by jennigypsy
febreeze, pledge, any ol' spray cleaner will do <to kill your fish, that is>
Or in your armpits!! :lol: :dance:

Yeah - and CD - I'm going to try my luck on my next date with the no deoderant... I'll let you know how it works out :wink:

jennigypsy
12-02-2004, 05:11 PM
LOLOLOL!!!!....Grump Old Men..the one old man uses windex as cologne...and on my BIG FAT greek wedding...the father swore by windex....lol
Hey Ski...I doubt you'll need much 'luck' on a date ;)

Glaive
12-05-2004, 11:31 PM
volume of water aside, I do not believe that antipersperant is very soluable. Not to mention the concentration of particles already in the average tank, further reducing it solvent capability..... Chemical cleaners are another story, in a sense made to be super solvents....

chc
12-06-2004, 06:47 AM
Peeeeewwwwwwwww! Do you smell that?

Seedy, is that you?