PDA

View Full Version : Fish changing colors

JCalka
01-21-2003, 09:47 PM
I recently bought 2 kenyi and 2 jewels. It's about 2 weeks later, and I have noticed one jewel has turned a very beautiful red color, while the other one stayed gray w/ a little bit of color. They both looked the same when I bought them. Also, the kenyis were both greyish/blue. One is turning yellow. If I"m not mistaken, this means that particular fish is a male and ready to mate?

How do I know when the cichlids have bred? I want to put the pregnant one in isolation when I know for sure.

jonah
01-22-2003, 04:44 AM
Female kenyi will have a mouthfull of eggs that will be pretty noticible. Her throat will look real puffy and she'll be moving her jaw around a lot. Jewels are egglayers so you she won't really be pregnant.

fOx
01-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Not really. The change in colours just means they are "growing up". Male Kennyi's are yellow, females are blue. With your jewels the brightly coloured one is male and the grey one is most likley a female (however it may be a male that hasen't got its colouring yet), Female jewels/peacocks are gray.

Jonah gives good advice on how to tell when the female kennyi is holding, but if your fish just got their adult colouring then I would be willing to bet they are still way to young to breed.

enjoy, your babies are getting older.

fOx

bert
01-22-2003, 01:32 PM
at what size do kenyi usually start to change color ? :?

fOx
01-22-2003, 02:29 PM
between one and two inches you should start to notice something... otherwise it may be a female.

jennigypsy
02-21-2004, 10:04 PM
I have 2 'female' Kenyi...I put female in quotes because as of late (within 2 weeks) one of them has become larger, and is turning yellow...thing is, they're almost 4 inches long...I thought any adult coloring up would have happened by now...I thought I read somewhere that sometimes female Kenyi sometimes develop a yellowish hue....anyone have any experience with this? The one turning yellow is also becoming more aggressive than before...
what do you guys think?

tom
02-21-2004, 10:43 PM
I think your fish in question is a male. I don't recall this thread (from a year ago!), but color changes in lombardoi at just 1-2" is something I haven't seen in my experience (not that it can't or doesn't happen--I've just not seen it).

And yes, females will take on some male coloring. It's not entirely unusual, particuarly in the absence of males. But what I recall vividly (I no longer keep the species) is that all males had a single markedly distinct eggspot. I don't remember if the females with some yellow shading shared that characteristic, though.

jennigypsy
02-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks Tom...
I didn't remember seeing any eggspot on 'shim'...so I figured for the heck out it, I'd just now take a close look....and there's one. Just one...not very large...but it's there. Maybe it's become more noticable with the color change... Hmmm.....boy, these fish are so interesting!

jennigypsy
02-21-2004, 11:03 PM
btw...I know this is an old thread...I figured I'd look around a bit to see if I could find out the info I needed...