PDA

View Full Version : argonite and water clouding

enckr
11-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I recently switched gravel out of my tank for argonite sand. When I put in the argonite, it clouded the water terribly and took 2 days to settle. I then tried to vaccuum the sand to help get rid of some of the dust, which made it all cloudy again. How do I handle this? What is the best way to clean and care for a tank with sand?

Thanks for you help in advance.

punkypuffer
11-23-2004, 07:43 PM
did you rinse it before putting it in the tank? that is essential to prevent clouding

cich1
11-23-2004, 10:11 PM
i know when i was switching over to playsand i had to rinse the hell out of it,before putting it in my tanks, as it was pretty dusty.

mouse6196
11-23-2004, 11:04 PM
Don't disturb the sand for a couple weeks. If you must vacuum, then simply wave the vacuum over the sand (a few inches abouve) and suck up the stuff that floats up.

Once the bacteria colonies establish in the sand, it will become very stable and clouding will stop. I never vacuum my sand. I simply wave the vacuum (python) a few inches above to stir up debris that is then sucked up.

Just give it some time...a good couple weeks.

jennigypsy
11-24-2004, 12:09 AM
yep...it will settle...<even when you rinse aragonite sand before it goes into the tank it still clouds some>...

enckr
11-24-2004, 05:02 AM
I'll try and let it settle for a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice!

Is there any special vaccuum I should be usiing for sand, currently I am using the same one I was using for gravel (not sure of the name)?

mouse6196
11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
I haven't seen a special one for sand. I use the Python (green fittings, might be what you have) that connects to the tap. I set the flow really low and use the "waving over the sand" method as descibed above.

With fine sand, the crud doesn't get down into the sand bed so I just worry about the top thin layer.

punkypuffer
11-24-2004, 09:25 AM
you need to disturb the sand at least once a month because it could go anaerobic which would not be good

enckr
11-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Great. I tried what you said today and I got some clouding, but not as much. Hopefully, I got up some of the excess dust. I'll let it sit for the weekend while I enjoy Thanksgiving with the family. Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the help!

the209jungalist
12-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Get into the habit of raking your sand regularly.

Maybe argonite sand is way different than Tahitian but when I used to rake my sand I had some really weird stuff that used to come up that looked really bad for fish. I eventually switched to gravel. I think Tahitian sand is just too dense, my tank would not cycle with that stupid crap. I put 50lbs of gravel on top of my 80lbs of sand and I am still sucking sand out almost 6 months later!