PDA

View Full Version : Switching Filters - Eclipse to Eheim

Torpedo
11-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone,

New to cichlids...not new to aquariums, just not very knowledgable (and I can't spell either).

I currently have a 37 gal. using a Eclipse3 filter system. Right now the tank is empty. It did have a couple large angels, a med. size ID shark and a few other fish. I traded them in so I can switch to African Cichlids. The tank has been "active" for about 6 or 7 yrs. Because of the change to cichlids, I changed the substrate to aragonite. But I did keep the old water as well as all the gunk that was in it. My LFS recommends that I switch to an Eheim to increase water flow and filtration.

I figure I will have to run both filters until the bacteria on the Eheim catches up to the Eclipse. How long should I run both filters....what is the best way to bring the Eheim bacteria level to where it needs to be?

Right now pH is 7.6, ammonia < .5, nitrite .25. Did about a 1/3 water change and now have to wait to see what happens. When is a good time to start a new filter?

barramundi
11-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Personally I'd keep running both. No such thing as too much, so long as there's not a huge current flowing thru blowing the fish around. IMO.:ok:

punkypuffer
11-24-2004, 09:27 AM
how long ago did you have the other fish in there? the bacteria won't live all that long without "life" in there or it wont have anything to feed on. a well esablished tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, with a little nitrates.

Torpedo
11-24-2004, 09:49 AM
Fish have been out about a week. And unless I start heading into a mini cycle, I plan on stocking a few fish tonight. Problem I am finding both at my LFS and here, if you ask 5 people a question, you will get 3 different answers. Sometimes I feel like I'm using the "ask the audience" lifeline.

Torpedo
11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Also, I was looking at eheim.com and bigalsonline.com, there is the model 2213 (116GPH, 60g tank), 2232 (no GPH listed, max. 35g tank) or 2234 (no GPH, max. 60g tank).

It looks like the 2213 works on siphon action while the 2232 and 2234 are self priming. I thought I would keep the Eclipse3 which is supposed to have a 270GPH rating (why this isn't enough is beyond me) in addition to the Ehiem.

I don't want to create a strong current. Would the 2234 be overkill? Assuming money was no object (which it is but who cares) what would you folks recommend.

punkypuffer
11-24-2004, 10:58 AM
well, sorry my information wasn't good enough for ya :/

Torpedo
11-24-2004, 11:36 AM
PunkyPuffer - sorry, I didn't mean anything by my comment. What I was referring to was the model of filter...2213, 2232, 2234...everyone has a different opinon as to preference or even Ehiem is the way to go.

I agree with you regarding adding "life" that's why I need to get some fish before I have to wait for the cycle end. That's tonight's project.

barramundi
11-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Torp, you've probably already made your purchase by now, but if not, a good rule of thumb with cannisters filters is to get one that turns over you tank at least 4x per hour IME. eg 300 litre tank then a cannister that turns over 1200 Lphr is a good idea. You can get away with 3x per hour, but I guess I always believe in being well on the safe side of the line when it comes to filters. That way nothings working hard & will pretty much handle anything you through at it. You can always use the Eheims' spray bar to reduce current if it is an issue.

Anyway, good luck with it mate!

Torpedo
11-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey Barramundi...actually I decided against the Eheim and went for a Magnum 350 instead. Because I already have an established wet/dry with the Eclipse bio-wheel, I didn't need any more. Now I just need to find the time to set it up.

Torpedo
11-30-2004, 11:24 PM
Ok...found the time today to set up the 350...unbelievable...quiet...easy to maintain, so far. Finally a worthwhile investment.