PDA

View Full Version : Advice, moving tank across town

salty
11-16-2004, 08:52 AM
I have a 65 g. american set up, I am in the process of moving out. I just got a new 2 bedroom apt. across town about 15 miles away, I was wondering, what's the best way to move my tank and occupants with the least amount of harm to my fish and tank etc.? I was thinking of using buckets to transport the fish but i was also thinking of just draining the water down very low and just move the entire thing at once, I own a mini van, so getting it in and out of it should'nt be a problem. What do you guys/girls think, whats the best way? thanx-salty:confused:

jennigypsy
11-16-2004, 08:56 AM
do not move that tank with any water in it....for one, it will be insanely heavy...and two, because you can easily break it ....it's not worth trying...
Use buckets for he fish, don't bother trying to save your old tank water..just keep the filter media wet....and move the tank/fish last...just before you're ready to leave.

salty
11-16-2004, 09:03 AM
thanx, j gypsy, man that was quick I thought i would'nt get a reply until later. Anyways, yea i figured the bucket idea was better, but should i seperate my fish into seperate buckets, I mean my 6" jag and 5" flowerhorn would probably kill each other unless they just get freaked out by the move, + i have like 5 cons and my female salvini, do you think they'd all be all right in 1 bucket for a 20 min. drive or should i go and get a few more buckets at home depot.?

punkypuffer
11-16-2004, 10:06 AM
i would get a couple more buckets, personally. even if the fish aren't picking on each other, they might be banged around and bump each other a lot and that would really stress them out.

or, for the cons and salvini.. you could get some large bags from the lfs or petsmart and bag them like they were when you bought them.

salty
11-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Good deal, thanx punky, and gypsy you've both helped out alot, I appreciate it. I'm not officially moving out until Dec. 1, but i've already started packing. I think this computer, and my tank will be the last things to move. thanx again,-salty

salty
11-16-2004, 10:15 AM
oh yeah, anyone want a cat?

cichgirl
11-16-2004, 12:42 PM
skiitswitch is looking for one! :edance:

ed
11-18-2004, 03:45 PM
My male salvini killed my female salvini when I moved across town. If I could do it over again, I would bag/bucket the fish separately.

OwassoFish
11-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by salty
oh yeah, anyone want a cat?

Double bagged and shipped overnight DHL? :sygypsy:

salty
11-18-2004, 11:01 PM
thanx ed, sounds like a plan. that definately sounds like the best way to do it, seeing as my male jag is always hunting my female salvini, man, i need a bigger tank. -salty

punkypuffer
11-19-2004, 09:39 AM
dont we all salty...don't we all :lol:

salty
11-25-2004, 09:30 AM
one more week, I can't wait. - salty